Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Who gets to decide?

This is my immaturity coming out...which tends to do so quite often, but I really haven't decided to care yet. Whenever I stand at an intersection - I smile at that little, orange hand that tells you to stop walking. I think it'd be funny to black out a few of those little lights...say the ones around all but the hand and the middle finger, because then you have the flashing middle finger.

I honestly think that the concept of "flipping the bird" is really funny. When I do it, I honestly am not swearing in my head at all or even think of it. I just think it's a funny gesture because really what the heck is that? In different cultures different gestures mean different things. But what I would like to know is who gets to decide what gesture, means what? I mean really - who decides these things because they have quite the influence on the North American culture. Anyway - random thought.

Other thought - The students leave this Sunday. Craziness. I'm already pretty sensitive and nostalgic. I know that it's time to move on...but it's still hard.

For those of you wondering about my morality. I'm still going to live with Taylor for a little while longer. We've had a good run. Both of us have learned from one another and I think we've benefited from the relationship that we have had - we'll have some space starting May 1st - I won't be working with Taylor any more. So that constancy will not longer be there - but since there is so much happening, I'm not going to actually move out until a little later. It will be weird to have so much more independence - and the silence of not always having the continual noise from another person or their group of friends. Overall - I think being with Taylor has been a good experience and an opportunity to grow.

1 comment:

Jemma said...

that's so funny! If I didn't have a fear of getting arrested I'd help you black out the 'don't walk' sign. maybe I'll be your accomplice one day anyway. we need not live by the law anyway right? isn't that what the bible says?

J