Friday, March 16, 2007

Movie Ponderings - Jesus Camp



If you've seen this movie, I'd love to hear feedback on this one. I think this probably strikes a cord with me simply because of my year working for a cult - and for that reason this movie makes me sick. At the same time, I think it's valid to teach children truth at an early age. But at what point is our manipulation evil? I wouldn't be surprised if we could produce this film (maybe not all of the political stuff...but I'm sure they could snag other stuff)from ANY evangelical camp. We run those kids hard during the day (so they sleep at night....at least I do!!) and then in the evening we have our chapel or fireside or both. The kids are tired...the lighting is just right...the speaker touches on sensitive areas...we incorporate music, because music has somewhat of a mystical element in that it connects with our being.

I love camp. Growing up, my world revolved around camp. So I'm pretty hesitant to just chuck it out and never send my kids there (oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about my children!! Maybe on another post). Camp was also incredibly formative in my faith development - and interestingly, the format and I would even dare to say, the manipulation was similar to that of the film. Whether the adults were conscious of it or not, I do not know. Which is also interesting because my background, especially as a young child...was exceedingly conservative and this movie depicts a charismatic church. BUT not all manipulation is bad. We manipulate children all the time - for desired behavior, to teach them morals, to teach them to read, to get along, etc... Alot of psychology and counseling is about manipulating thought process to empower a person on toward grow. I guess - this movie leads me to wonder - where is that line where manipulation becomes unhealthy?

Anyway- if you haven't already seen it. I recommend it. It'll give you something to think about. I'd be interested in people's thoughts. Post or email.

2 comments:

Kelela said...

I haven't seen it but I would like to. It seems interesting. By the way... I love watching you up on the stage at focus! Wait-a-second... I love YOU! :)

David Hengen said...

that movie freaks me out. some of it seems whacko.