Sunday, July 30, 2006

Brethren ?

I feel like I'm in this random place. It's actually quite exciting. I really enjoy and love the church that I'm attending. Yes, this is Kristy....pretty cynical toward the church, institutions and has seen and experienced a lot of shit (am I allowed to swear in my blog?) in churches. Yet, oddly enough I am still drawn toward this idea of community.

This past year, I've been attending a church plant (from 3 years ago). I don't have these huge deep meaningful relationships everywhere. In fact, I maybe have a few. I don't belong to a particular friend group (which most are tight and fairly exclusive). I'm a floater...always have been and apparently will continue to do so. But I have this strange sense of belonging and deep sense of "this is where I am to be." Which is very exciting. I've never really felt as though I've belonged to a church. Which is strange since I've grown up breathing church.

In many ways, it's also redeemed the "Brethren" for me. I know some people have impressions of what the "Brethren" look like based on strange services that they have attended...and I wish in many ways that they wouldn't clump everyone in the same category. Mennonites have your right and left wingers....so do other denominations. Anyways...as a kid, I used to hate the first service (this silent-ish meeting where we'd take communion for an hour....very reflective and if a guy felt he should share a thought, pray or suggest a song, he could). Now I love it. It's amazing to hear and participate (women are allowed to participate as well) and to experience God through people's thoughts. It's cool to experience heresy and as a group struggle through our faith.

It's kinda hard to explain. I've often had an appreciation for some aspects of my Brethren roots. But I feel like this church has also brought some healing.

No comments: