Saturday, July 15, 2006

Thoughts on our little war and country.

So here's my opinion about this war. O yeah, if you didn't get the memo - Canada's at war. We might be in denial, but I'd say it's the reality. I realize that you didn't ask for my opinion. But here I am...giving it freely. Actually - the truth is, I don't know what I think about war in general. (Isn't that great? I start out giving my opinion and then I tell you I don't have one. Wow. I'm all over the map). I've grown up in a home and church where war is okay. But having attended CBC... pacifists have a point too. I think we rush into war too soon when peace can be achieved in other ways. But also looking at horrible genocides, sometimes we don't act fast or hard enough.

Okay, so on the drive back from BC we stopped in Clearwater. (I'm sure you don't care what town we stopped in). But I was reading this article about Bush and Harper getting together and Bush was telling Harper that we should consider North Korea a threat because really, if they decide to bomb the US, they might miss and hit us. (I'm not entirely against the US...just half of me is, because really the other half of me is actually American). But I don't trust this Bush fellow and the motivations behind his involvment in International affairs. This whole Afghan thing? How do we war against terrorism? How do we know who the terrorists are and really, how do we define terrorism? This war that Canada has stepped into...chumming up with Mr. Bush...what are the motivations behind our involvement? I'm not sure the citizens are being properly informed. Sure we can't pull out now because it would put us at risk. But I would be interested to see how our soldiers deal with the "aftermath" after the war is over. I think it's interesting that war vets of WWI and II speak proudly of serving their country and yet Vietnam vets are notorious for psychological disturbances or refuse to speak about it. I'd speculate that the motivation behind the war is a significant factor. Unfortunately, we may never know the true motivation behind our country's involvment...and even if we do, it'll most likely manifest itself later...after the damage is done.

Other thoughts on Harper. I appreciate the fact that he is a strong leader and is very much stepping into some unknown territory. I definitely like the fact that he is attempting to strengthen the relationship with our neighbors. But I'd be sad if he is sacrificing his strength of character and personal leadership to be Bush's golden boy. I'd love to see Canada gain some fortitude and strength when dealing with the US. When we make a deal...it seems as though they always get the better end.

No comments: