Thursday, March 02, 2006

Other thoughts

Today was mostly spent in class. I'm taking a Romans class and then a Practicum-ish class this semester. So it's been more of a "thoughtful" day....where we all pretend we're smart and that we have this huge amounts of knowledge because we studying at such a high-academic level. (No, I don't actually think this way...but sometimes it seems as though there are those who do). Anyways, the point of all of this is that...today I was reflecting on God's faithfulness. In Romans, we were talking about Ch. 2... (yes, it's beyond mid-semester and we're only on chapter 2). Anyways, it's believed that Paul is addressing a Jewish mentality that they will be saved from God's wrath simply because they are Jewish. They are under the covenant and so will experience God's grace and mercy. Paul talks about it being so much deeper than that....I'd unpack that...but it just gets so much more full and I want to talk about something else....

I was thinking about the covenant aspect. There was this assumption that since God made a covenant (specifically the Abrahamic) with them, that they could to what they want and God would be faithful. The reality is, is that there are blessings and curses attached with coveants. I find it interesting that even though they repeatedly broke their end of the bargain...that there is still this expectation that God will follow through. the reality is...is that God doesn't have to keep that covenant because it was broken on the human side....and yet, He is still faithful. I find it interesting that today, we have this expectation that God will His covenants even when they've been broken on the human side. Such a bazaar expectation since that's not how covenants are supposed to work. Yet, pretty incredible when we think about the character and love of God. He is faithful even when he's not required to be.

Not really a super new concept. But it just sort of resounded for me today.

Sorry, not really an amusing blog... but this is partially what I've been thinking about today.... I also made a grocery list. So I've thought about food a bit...

No comments: