Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Thoughts continue...

Another things I meant to mention.... Something we did not do, nor did we have any intention of doing so, was go to Cite Soleil. Mostly, I wasn't keen on going to "observe" - let's put people in a fishbowl. The sad thing, Cite Soleil is a reality not a tourist attraction. The other factor...it's not the safest place in the world. BUT - apparently things are slightly cheaper there. That's right, cheaper. Which, from my understanding is an attraction for some of the mennonites in the area. Apparently, even after there were shootings and they had to duck down to the floor of their vehicle...they still go back, for a good deal. I had no idea that such thriftiness is so deeply rooted, but it made me laugh. For some reason, I don't know why because I doubt he's that much of an extremest, but I thought of Nate. Funny how 12 days can be so full... I find it strange that I still dream that I'm in Haiti and have occasionally woken up - freaking out, not because my dream freaked me out but because I don't know where I am. (apparently, I'm a stranger to my own bed???)

I'm slowly getting over my addiction to Hand-sanitizer.

The phantom fire-ants haven't been biting me lately, so that is encouraging.

Another random thought: I've been thinking about "our role." I'm saying "our" and "I" very loosely... thinking me, North Americans, Christians, whatever. Haiti is such a sad, ugly but incredibly country with beautiful people. One can't help but think how fortunate we are. And really, we have no idea how fortunate we are. I don't think it's something we can actually grasp. But we're no more loved. Yes, Haiti has given herself over and worships idols. We do too, just in different - what we think of as "more dignified" ways. But yeah, one thing that really struck me was both love and sadness. And then one thinks "what should I be doing?" "what's my role?" "do I even have one?" questions that I don't really have an answer to... it's interesting to question whether or not I even have a right to even offer help. I mean, who am I? one might suggest that there is even a level of arrogance that can go with that proposal because there can be an underlying tone of "I'm in a better postion" and any time one offers help to another, there is an incredible imbalance of power. the reality is, my "western-ism" would inevitably influence those around me - and there is a risk of something "Haitain" being lost. Not that I'm suggesting that as people, we don't do anything. I guess it's all fragmented thoughts on alternative meanings for "well-meaning."

I've been trying to put on a video...but apparently I'm technologically impaired. Sorry. It's disappointing because I have this great video of how freaking loud the market was.

This pic goes out to someone special.

5 comments:

Nater said...

Don't know if I should be flattered or put out. Let's go with flattered.

Bid said...

not an insult at all - I don't think thriftiness is bad and admire it. and like I said, I don't think you're an extremest - but it did remind me of your ring expedition...going to great means. In the Cite Soleil situation, I do think those mennonites in particular might be going a little too far to get a good deal.

Anonymous said...

is that an arabeeeeeean donkey?

Sandra Plett said...

And who is this special person you speak of? They must be super-special to merit a photo of that beautiful ass!

Bid said...

Needless to say, I thought of a Mexican ass when I took that pic.