Monday, January 14, 2008

Some people think too much.


I being one of them. I hate winter. This is a well-known fact. No surprise to anyone. Because it has gotten considerably warmer and everything is melting...becoming all brown and nasty, it's giving the impression that spring is soon. As Albertans, we know this is false and that our winter will last for another few months. Sad. But reality. And I've decided that this is why we exploit our land - to speed up global warming. But that isn't my current line of thought...totally different direction. So as my thoughts ACTUALLY turned to spring and then to summer - then to camping and summer camps and then to Haiti (Interesting how 12 days can make you think about a place so much). I was thinking about how camping is a bit of an absurd thing. Not to destroy camping for anyone...because I'm still a big fan and I think that it is good to get out and enjoy God's creation... And I could totally be wrong in all of this randomness - but what is it that makes camping appealing? I have encountered several other cultures who think that camping is crazy and they wonder why anyone would want to do that? I'm not sure if it's a North American thing...Western thing or just random nations or cultures or what the heck it is. But I wonder if it isn't because we live in such comfort that there is more of an appeal to the "adventure" of "roughing it." "Hey, it'll be fun to cook our food over a fire and do everything outside!!" It's not an everyday reality - so it becomes a game of sorts. We find it relaxing which is actually incredibly ironic when considering that such a standard of living requires incredible hard-work. Again, in no way am I trying to be the voice of "Doom" or of pessimism and realize that it can be interpreted that way. This was more a "I've never actually thought about what I'm doing" and was intrigued by it...

No comments: