Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What I would like for Christmas...

is a new language. That'd be awesome. Probably the most frustrating aspect of looking after kids is not being able to speak the language. But I must say, things are getting way better. Fortunately, Creole is similar to French...so, I often know the word...without knowing that I know the word. So that is good.

Yesterday, I watched the workers butcher a chicken. At least I know the meat is fresh. We had goat for lunch...I'm glad I missed that one.

Today was a really good day. Mainly because I didn't get crap all over me. I don't know how I've done it, but I have been successful in picking up the child that has filled their diaper to the brim and beyond. The workers laugh at me regularly.

Mostly, I've just been thinking about "child-care." As Canadians we are incredibly fortunate...especially in child-care. The standards....well, let me just say, they aren't the same at all. But it's a weird concept to think that these kids are really fortunate to be living in an orphanage. Simply because the are well fed, have the opportunity to be adopted, are loved and cared for, etc... otherwise, there's a pretty good chance they would die. It just seems strange to think that kids without parents, or without parents who are able to care for them properly are fortunate if they live in an orphanage....

No comments: