Lori and I went for a walk today. Just outside the orphanage there is some corn on steroids. Seriously, it's at least 16 feet tall. It's ridiculous. I can't imagine a corn maze in that stuff.
We also visited one of the workers at (not in) her home. Haitians love to have their picture taken, but I've also discovered that they have a lot of pride, which is cool. Before Madame Doodoon and her neighbor would let me take their picture, they made us wait while they gave their kids a bath. (this was one of the ladies who always laughs at me because I get crapped on so frequently). She has beautiful kids and they look a lot like their mom, but it's also sad to see them. She commented that her daughter wasn't very healthy because of her hair (it has turned lighter, most likely because of malnutrition)...her son's hair is the same. I'm not certain that this lady does the same thing, simply because their clothes weren't particularly new, but dressing up and looking nice is extremely important in Haiti. At first, I noticed this in church. The children will be dressed so well, but their hair is light because of malnutrition.
It's also really weird because everything is turning brown incredibly fast. I had commented on the fact that everything is lush and green...yeah well, I've only been here 5 days and everything is turning brown. It's ridiculous. And so weird that I'm able to watch it happen before my eyes.
If I end up coming again, I need to plan my trip around fruit. Oranges just finished. The mangos and coconuts (are they even a fruit?) are only beginning to grow. I've only been able to eat bananas and a small piece of papaya today. (Although, I'm still not a huge fan of papaya...but as a non-banana person, they are really good). So yeah, I love fruit, and the lack thereof has been a sore disappointment. Today Lori commented that she's glad that she'll get to eat everything on this trip...funny how that works when you are here for year.
I'll put pictures up when I get home and the power and Internet aren't so temperamental.
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment