Monday, December 17, 2007

"Christmas"

I'm in Haiti. Crazy but true. So many first impressions. I learned so many things as I travelled internationally for the first time by myself. But I'll tell you about Haiti because it was far more exciting. First of all (apparently this doesn't happen) but 4 planes arrived all at the same time. I was given step by step instructions on how to get my baggage, etc... that all went through the window because it was so chaotic in there. It took me a long time to be able to figure out which uniform to talk to, where to go, etc... I finally found out that if I went and stood in this line and paid them a dollar, they would give me a ticket for a cart. I stood in the line - everyone was yelling and fighting. Finally, I went around to the side a bit and stood there silently (the lady wasn't giving out tickets and everyone was shoving their money in her face and pushing and yelling at each other. Finally, is just quietly took my money and I thanked her and went to get my cart. Which, was fortunate because I didn't have to fight to get a cart (because that was the next war zone. So yeah....I waited for a very long time for baggage that still hasn't come. I've tried phoning..... but the phones always run out of time (it's all cellular here). Fortunately, I was smart enough to pack most of my stuff in my carry-ons. That's right - the smart, inexperienced traveller.

It's a very beautiful country - the rainy season just ended and so everything is lush and green. Many interesting smells. Incredibly diverse - cement, bricks, shacks, etc... A jeep, north american style dealership - right in there amongst the poverty. Driving is insane. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. And everyone honks incessantly. There are goats, dogs and cows everywhere...

When we were driving home we saw two public transit vehicles that had tipped over. One over a hill....it actually looked like everyone was okay. And then on the way up the mountain, there was another one. We found out that one person died...and then we drove past them. Very surreal...but not. I found out that when that happens... the bus drivers run and they never come back. If they don't, the family will hunt them down and kill them.

I arrived after the kids went to bed. That means that at 5:45 am...I heard this mob outside my door. Eventually, the door slowly openned and there was this sea of little black faces, yelling "Christmas" (translation? Kristy). We're working on that one. I get mauled regularly. My legs are sore from boney little bums. I'm trying to learn Creole as fast as possible because these kids are bad. Yep. Not an under statement. But it's a good incentive to learn the language because they try and use it to their benefit.

Yeah....so many things... so hard to explain. Church was super cool. Although my butt was sore from sitting on a bench for 2.5 hours. The singing was awesome. I knew the sermon had to do with "changing" and he talked about Luke 2...but that's all I know. It was so hot. We drove really fast in the back of these trucks on these crazy roads that it would be classified as 4 by 4-ing. I tried desparately to keep my balance, not to get dirty and to keep my skirt down. The singing was amazing. During the service, I just about killed Lori. After singing, the guy is saying something in Creole and I hear this giggle from Lori. I thought we were going to sit and went to sit, but no, everyone was kneelng to pray. My bad. Jerk.

Anyway - I'm here. I'm alive. Things are really interesting...things are very different - but I'm learning alot.

1 comment:

Jerthom said...

Kristy...sounds like an interesting adventure...sounds like fun. I hope you learn the language, but you should learn it without telling the kids, and then surprise them when they're trying to pull a fast one on you...could be fun. Anyways hope all goes well on the rest of yuou trip...have a good Christmas!!!