One of my favorite phrases to mock is, "this is going to hurt me alot more than it's going to hurt you." What a stupid saying... kinda. I'm not ready to be a parent. Which is good because I'm sort of lacking the other element to even consider creating mini me-s. But I am also learning that being an Aunt has a downside too. And we're not just taking about those diapers and butts. Today was somewhat gut wrenching. One niece was sick and just needed lovin' - which while I really can't afford to get sick right now, I was okay with cuddling because it was super sad to see her melt and not have a lot of energy. But boy am I popping those ColdFX!!!
Now the other one. It's hard to explain.... there are just a lot of things that she will have to learn and maybe learn in a variety of ways. Other than her, I've never met a little mini teeny bopper who was 7 years old....in fact, I no longer know one because she just turned 8. Anyway- I love the kid to death but the reality is, there are some lessons that she's going to have to learn. And some of them are and are going to be really hard. The whole "tough love" thing - really makes me sick. Seriously - feel it in my stomach. Today - there was some really tough lovin' going on. She has attitude. She exudes it - and it will serve her really well when she gets older...I personally hope that she doesn't ditch all of it, because I think it'll make her stronger and effective. BUT - the kid also needs to learn some basic social skills. So - unfortunately for her, she has an aunt who is concerned about her social skills...
Today's lesson was on graciousness. A while back, I had bought her a sweater (which I undestand...sweaters are not exciting gifts for 7 year olds) but picture a mini teenager in a seven year old body saying "it's not my colour." (Apparently, grandma had given her something a while earlier and it wasn't her style! Funny...but also not). I told her that was fine, if she didn't want it, I'd give it to her younger sister. All of a sudden she really liked the sweater. It was a modern day miracle. But, this is a typical response for her and so I've wrestled with this because at some point (sooner than later) she needs to learn that gifts are an extension of love and well, just basic manners. You don't have to like something...but don't trample people through self-exression. So today - I, the horrible aunt...gave her a birthday gift. Similar response...I gave her a book and a shirt - (included the book because she loves to read!!!). Disappointment and distaste on face. Her mom was reading the back saying "I'll have to read this one with you because I want to read it too!" Response: "Well then you should have it!!" Evil Auntie Kristy had a "heart to heart" but received a stunning, Oscar winning performance of 'attitude personified' on the other end - If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 10. She had just gone through a similar scenerio with grandma where her gift was taken back... Auntie Kristy also took back her gift. (wanted to puke). tears poured...(not mine, hers...) She's super hurt and disappointed because she apparently loved the shirt (seriously!)... And I think "I don't want to be a mean Aunt!!" So there ya go - another niece story. I'm full of them.... this one isn't funny. Sorry about that. I'll try and think of something more entertaining for next time...
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're the meanest aunt ever!!! Kay just kidding...good for you...I think too many people cave into kids too easily...I'm all about natural consequences...
Post a Comment