Sunday, September 16, 2007
Annoyance
Today at church there was this new guy - and I wasn't so much annoyed at what he said, but more the mentality. He was referring to another guy at our church - and was talking to a bunch of girls, saying " He seems like a nice guy how come he's not married." Which I should have kept my mouth shut because I realize that it wasn't the nicest or most appropriate response... (my response was "Because marriage is the highest calling in life.) - yes, there might have been a hint of sarcasm. I mean, no I can't say I want to be single my entire life - I wouldn't mind getting married eventually at some point in time. But I'm tired of Christians thinking that marriage is the be-all/end-all...pretty sure in Corinthians Paul talks about not wishing marriage on anyone. Obviously, Paul was pretty pessimistic on the whole issue - pretty sure that we aren't all supposed to adopt his attitude - but I do think that single life can be complete and fulfilling. I don't know - I think if I'm going to be single why not seize what we have now rather than longing for a completion that doesn't really come when you get married. I mean, yes...I am talking from a rather..."single" perspective and there is so much that I don't know about marriage or "becoming one." But I have a hard time believing that life doesn't begin until you get married - and that seems to be a continual message that I hear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Did you notice that the new guy talked to a lot of girls that sunday?
Being single---- why dont people embrace it while they can? it is fun. I love it. Sure, dating woulf be nice, but can you really have this muuuuch fun dating?
Post a Comment