Thursday, September 09, 2010

continued

SUBJECT MATTER

In order to have something to say, you must know something about the usual subjects brought into everyday conversations. There are so many interesting subjects today.
There are the airplanes, the atom bombs, the conflicts between different nations. If you do know know a few conversational tid bits about all these world interests, it's about time you became interested in the daily paper. After you force yourself to read the news a few times, no doubt you will become fascinated.

You do not have to become an authority on any subject to be able to talk about it. You should be interested enough in most subjects os that you can draw someone else out on these matters. Then, too, you should know enough about the local and national interests to form a few opinions....

The youngest child in school today knows something about cars and television, so why should anyone clam up when cars and such subjects are brought to his attention? If there is some special subject which seems to always pop up in any group with whom you associate, read up on the subject. Read and listen until you know something about the subject matter yourself.


FRANKNESS

"There's one things about me," I heard a young man brag the other day," I say exactly what I think!"

If you chance to be such a young person, sometime when you are at a social function, look around you and count the young people who seek your company. Are you the seeker or the sought after? Oh, no one minds a little "specking the mind," but as a rule this "speaking the mind" means "criticizing others."

3 comments:

Amanda Quiring said...

Great tips... I often find myself casually chatting about atom bombs in everyday conversations.

Bid said...

really??? I had you pegged as more of an airplanes type-a-gal.

Amanda Quiring said...

No, I'm all about the atom bomb... or, like a little child, I love chatting casually about cars...