Saturday, June 14, 2008

I guess it's been a bit.

I haven't really had much to post. Shocking, but true. I guess I should explain why. This summer I am car counting. Yes, that's right, I have the most exhilerating and exciting job ever. I sit at an intersection in order to count and classify the cars going by. This is a 12 hour job. Imagine how exciting that can be.... Too bad the money is so good. Otherwise, you couldn't pay me enough... O wait... I'm a student. So I do dumb jobs.

Very few exciting things happen. Although I have observed some bad drivers. But I'm pretty sure I've been among them. The other day an individual went into this super steep ditch. I didn't see it actually happen. I just saw the aftermath and thought they were lucky they didn't roll their vehicle. I got to watch them try and drive out since it was such a steep hill (I have to do my job, so I can't really be of much help. We aren't even technically allowed to leave to go to the bathroom. It's kinda brutal.

On the first day, I experienced the most interesting washroom (during my lunch break). I went to this super old story. The dirty floor was covered with mats everywhere.... and it seemed to be slanted quite a bit. I get to the back to the "bathroom" and really, it was just an indoor outhouse. There was electricity, which I thought was very odd. But there was an "outhouse" seat. 4' by 2' high...on wheels. So you can just drive the crap away??? Anyway, I didn't think of taking a picture... maybe one day I'll go back and you can all experience it.

The other thing that you should all take note of: If someone is sitting in the ditch beside their vehicle in a lawn chair. They have a blanket out beside them, music blarring, a cooler and they are sitting there making (not eating...making)themselves a salad...chances are, they don't need a ride!!!

3 comments:

Jerthom said...

So Bid....how good is the money?? Sounds exhilarating!!! I have seen people doing that job before, and wondered what exactly they were doing.

Anonymous said...

that is the best story ever. we have those guys here and it looks like a posh job ;) who counts the cars when you're on your lunch break?

Sandra Plett said...

Hmmm...so Canadian government likes to invent "make-work-jobs" as well. Why exactly do you need to be there all day counting the cars? Don't we have technology for this?