Tuesday, November 21, 2006
I know you are but what am I?
I find it disturbing to realize that there are immature people. No, really. I know I'm immature and like to act like a pesty little kid because my sense of humour is often childish.... But I have this glorious job of dealing with young adults. And it blows me away how often I find them acting in ways that the junior high and high school students would at GCC. And believe me...I saw a lot there and could tell some pretty funny stories. But it's interesting how easy it is to revert or maybe it's not even reverting because they've never really learned how to act appropriately to begin with. The ability to intellectualize and think critically is there but the social development of how to deal with their opinions and view points is often lacking - they are out to "stick it to the man" often through passive aggression or blantant rebellion. And for the most part - I am okay with this. It often makes me appreciate those who were in authority at CBC...those individuals who I might have made their life hell by doing similar things. It's a part of my job that sucks and I hate being the target of their anger and frustration - but I also see that in many ways, they need to go through this in order to learn and mature. What scares me is that there are individuals who never grow up in this area. They will always act like little kids when things don't go their way. They'll give their someone the cold shoulder, or worse...."the look," they might refuse to work with certain people, or won't let their children play with the other person's child. And we do all of this under the guise of being "mature adults." Indeed, it is so very mature and I'm glad that we have the opportunity to teach this to our children. How I love cycles....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment