I went to the Canadian Finals Rodeo this weekend. For the most part, I enjoyed it. But, I think that I have lived in BC for too many years. Really, I don't think that there are very many people who were concerned about animal safety...and really, we aren't talking about safety FROM animals, really, if you're going to be an idiot and get on a bull, that's your choice. But what about those poor steer being jerked around and chucked around? You can't tell me it doesn't bruise them a little bit. I'm glad there was a bit of a protest outside of Rexall Place... not because I'm a huge advocate for animals, but I think it's a good reminder.
On the other hand - other than the steer, I don't think the animals are harmed in any way...and that's enjoyable. I enjoyed the bucking broncs and the bulls. I think they are crazy. Especially when so many of them walk out of the ring limping or holding some part of their body that they've hurt. I don't know how that one man walked out of the ring after being thrown into the fence. Personally, I don't even know why he was thrown into the fence because really, he should have directed the bucking bronc away from it. And did you know that horses can jump up by all 4? It's quite impressive.
By far - the most entertaining event would have to be the Wild Pony Races. Seriously, if you ever have the chance to see one. Don't pass it up. This involves children. 3 children, I'm guessing between 8-12 year olds. They are a team. They have to have one person hop on the horse and stay on for 2 bucks - all within 25 seconds. So one person grabs the pony around the neck to stop it. The middle man hops on and then the last person acts as an anchor. Yes, an anchor. One light, little anchor. Yes, there were children being dragged around the arena by this tiny horse- but their psychotic parents gave them permission to, so it's okay.
I love Alberta.
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Coming on the heels of your "Fighting for the right to not be a hick" blog post, I'd say this is a pretty interesting one. From what I can tell, I think that Alberta is winning the battle on this one Kristy!! Don't fight it!!!
I had no idea that horses could jump off all four...I'd love to see that:)
Coming on the heels of your "Fighting for the right to not be a hick" blog post, I'd say this is a pretty interesting one. From what I can tell, I think that Alberta is winning the battle on this one Kristy!! Don't fight it!!!
I had no idea that horses could jump off all four...I'd love to see that:)
It's a love/hate relationship. or maybe...I'm just repressing my true feelings and I'm in denial.
I was gonna comment on the whole hick thing, but Sandra beat me to it...
Post a Comment