Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Fighting for the right to not be a hick.

Last night I went into Michael's with my nieces. Of course we had to visit the toy section...for my sake, not theirs. But I was noticing all the variety of toy animals... they have a really good selection. I even found a walrus. But then I became really concerned.... Not only did they have horses and cows...they had the different types. That's correct. They didn't just have a little section for cows, they had longhorns, holsteins, black angus, jersey's etc... the same was true for the horses; pintos, quarter, appaloosa... They had about 10 different kinds for each. What ever happened to having a simple cow or horse? I might live in the prairies geographically, yes. But we live in the CITY. We don't have to be hicks if we don't want to.... Why does everyone have to ruin this for me? I'm working so hard not to fit the mold and no one's working with me on this one. I am not a hick and they don't have to be either. In fact, they don't even have to wear wranglers because we all know their too tight anyway. We might know that there are different breeds within a given livestock, but we don't have to pollute our children's minds...they don't have to be hicks too. When they play...they can play farm...but they don't have to distinguish in their minds if it's a beef or dairy farm based on the breeds.... It's okay to just play with cows!!!!

(I would also like to point out that there was one day that my niece was playing with her cows...and she was separating them. Not to put them out in the field...no, some would stay, some would go to the auction and a couple went to be the butcher. O, young minds!!!!)

No comments: